Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Homemade Deodorant

This is actually a post I started years ago.  Over time I forgot about how much I love this little secret because I use it everyday, it just became a normal ritual.   But after a friend reminded me about this topic (thanks Sana!) I figured it was time to post it, especially since we are in the dog days of summer and I was just about to make a new batch.  

My whole life I was an excessive sweater.  I was even known to wear button down shirts and sweatshirts over t-shirts in the summer just to cover my sweat marks.  When I was 27 I finally went to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with hyperhidrosis.  In the past I had always used prescription strength deodorant but when I found out my insurance covered Botox for hyperhidrosis (if they would only cover it for wrinkles... I kid, I kid) I was all for it.  I had the Botox applied twice, it felt like being stung by bees over and over again and each application lasted about 6 months.  I won't lie, it did work wonders.  But I soon found out my hyperhidrosis problem was caused by an underlying thyroid issue that I'm now managing so I wanted to avoid the Botox if possible.  

I started looking for a natural deodorant when we decided to start a family, I wanted as few chemicals in my system as possible.  Tom's of Maine makes a natural deodorant but it never really seemed to work well.  Then I stumbled upon making my own deodorant.  This couldn't be easier and it works, even my CrossFit addicted husband swears by it. ;)

You'll need:

6 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
4 Tablespoons Baking Soda
4 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder (or Cornstarch)


In the microwave melt 6 tablespoons of coconut oil in a measuring cup, or any bowl, but the measuring cup is good for pouring the deodorant into your storage jar. 


Add 4 tablespoons of baking soda and mix.


Add 4 tablespoons of Arrowroot Powder (or Cornstarch) and mix.


If your mixture is too runny add more baking soda and arrowroot starch or if it is too dry, add more coconut oil.  It is that easy.

Pour into your storage containers, for us I find this recipe makes 2 half pint mason jars that my husband and I keep in our medicine cabinets.  Depending on the temperature, it can take until the next morning for them to firm up, you may want to give them a stir every so often until they firm so the oil doesn't rise to the top.


To use, scoop a pea to marble size of deodorant out using your fingers and rub into your underarm.  Some people can be a little sensitive to the baking soda so if you find this stings make sure you don't apply right after shaving or use less baking soda.  You can even add some essential oils of your choice for a pleasant scent.  If not, this is completely odorless and will keep your pits that way too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...