Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homemade Sunscreen Lotion Bars

Since I found out I was pregnant I have become more interested in not only what I put in my body but what I put on my body.  Wellness Mama is a fantastic resource for all things "healthy living" and I have thoroughly enjoyed perusing her past posts, especially her homemade recipes for everyday items.  When I came across her Homemade Sunscreen Bars I knew I wanted to bring them along to the Outer Banks with us for our family vacation.  I ordered all the ingredients on Amazon and linked them into my store if you are interested.


Here is what I used:


  • 1 Cup Coconut Oil
  • 1 Cup Shea Butter
  • 1 Cup Beeswax
  • 3 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide
  • 1 Tablespoon Vitamin E Oil
Combine Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Beeswax in a double boiler.


Once melted the mixture will become transparent.



Remove the mixture from the heat and add the Zinc Oxide and Vitamin E Oil.



While still warm, pour the mixture into your chosen mold.  You'll notice the two bars in the middle right have some "clump-age".  The bottom of the mixture started to cool by the time I used it so I just sort of plopped it on top.  I then placed the mold into the refrigerator, which isn't necessary but I was in a rush.




Once the bars are solid, I popped them out and stored them in a plastic baggie in the fridge.  This recipe will make 12 bars and is approximately equal to 30 SPF.



We brought them to the beach and they were a success.  I would put one a day in a baggie in the cooler.  It will start to melt as you rub it into your skin and it feels really good.  Matt likes to bake in the sun and commented that he felt cooler because the lotion made his sweat bead up on his skin instead of dripping off.  His sister and I thought it made him look a bit like Edward in the sun. 


Except Matt has better color. ;)

6 comments:

Levi Brandriss said...

GENIOUS! I'm thinking to try this.. you sure you aren't getting burned? :)

Natalie {Where North Met South} said...

Honestly, I used Matt as my test subject since I am as pale as I've ever been and pregnancy can make a woman's skin extremely sensitive to sun. But Matt hasn't burned. The more zinc oxide you add the stronger the SPF. Always reapply every 2 hours or after swimming!

Holly said...

wow Nat! How is your deodorant working? I keep thinking about you and I really want to try your recipe. Also, thanks for your sweet card :)

Natalie {Where North Met South} said...

The deodorant is awesome! I'll have to do a post.

You are very welcome. :)

Missy Locke said...

how much was it for you to make this product?

Natalie {Where North Met South} said...

Hi Missy - it is hard to say how much it cost since I bought the products in bulk and use them for all types of natural products. All the ingredients cost about $40 but I use them all the time for lotion, lip chap, etc. It would definitely be less than an average bottle of sunscreen if you were to figure out the math.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...