Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chalkboard Coasters

I have seen chalkboard coasters all over blogland and decided this Christmas was the perfect time to try my hand at making them.  If they turned out well I knew I could gift them and if they became a big chalkboard mess, no biggie.  Fortunately they actually turned out much better than I anticipated and I totally plan on gifting them in the future (friends and family, I hope you like them because they may just show up in a gift bag from me!).  


I found my inspiration on A Little Lovely where Courtney from A Thoughtful Place was guest posting (if you haven't already, please check out both blogs, they are great).  The coasters were super simple, detailed instructions can be found on the links above, but here's how I did it:

Materials:
-Ceramic Tiles
*I think the tiles were like 16 cents each, just make sure to look closely at each tile to make sure they are not cracked, chipped, etc.
-Cork Board
-Chalk Board Paint
*Spray or regular chalk board paint will both work but since it was not spray painting weather outside and we don't have a garage I used the regular version.  
-Glue Gun
-Chalk (or Chalk Pen)

I measured the tiles against the cork board prior to painting so I could cut them while waiting for the paint to dry.


My tiles all laid out in a very handy box.



The tiles all painted (2 coats).




Wrapped as gifts!




You glue the cork board to the bottom of the tiles after they are dry (but I obviously forgot to takes pictures of that exhilarating action).  


These are great not only because they serve as coasters but you can set them up as labels on a buffet, set on a table as place cards or as an impromptu hand-drawn bouquet of flowers (right Sana?). :)


One tip, I only had regular chalk this time around but next time I will definitely buy those handy dandy chalk markers (like the ones they use on the menus at Starbucks) just to give it a cleaner look.  I can use all the help I can get when a craft includes my handwriting. 


Have fun!

3 comments:

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Hi Natalie! They turned out great. And using a chalkboard marker is a fantastic idea. I haven't found any yet.

Holly said...

Cool Nat! I used the spray paint chalk this Christmas on big glass jars. I just did a rectangle so that the person could right 'sugar' etc. on them. Great idea! I have some of that paint left over, going to have to make myself a set!

a little lovely said...

thanks for sharing these with me, yours turned out fabulous!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...